Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Poor mans Altec but friends make it rich

  1. #1
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As i was chatting with Bfish here I found a pair of 414 16a. I have looking for it and it just popped out. they were pulled from a9844 monitors and they are mint mint. I am so excited. I am now going to should to build an enclosures and xos. hee Ha!

    Thank you every one for the guidance and patience. Many of you said that 414s are very special. i am glad that i was able to get a pair.

    Thanks

    Tim forums forums forums

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Those look nice! Good price, too. Should go very well with your 811/806-16s. Congrats!

    I see you got momma some nice earrings too. Wise move. forums

  3. #3
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey BFish. You are the fastest gun slinger here. Ain't you? How did you figure that out? I sent a couple of day on ebay with my wife to buy her christmas gifts. After sayings things like, "wow" those earrings are nice! Then I could say, "where is mine?" My next move was to say, "hone" type altec in the search box, and etc. And I found mine last night. I am so so excited. No recon,,no remag please!

    Thanks for your help.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sounds like you'll end up with a pair of these, 9849-8Ds with a larger horn and in 16 ohms!

    Very nice speaker for sure and you are going to love the 414s.

    17

    Gary

  5. #5
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wow forums

    They do look beautiful. Could you give me some tips? Xovers point and parts, enclosure sign, port tunning, and etc?

    I know I will love it. I am planning to put it all together this weekend. So I can play some christmas music with them.

    Thanks.

    Tim

  6. #6
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    These are all original and just as they came from the factory Altec 9849-8Ds. They are identicle to the standard 9849s except they have a rift sawn veneer rather then the grey painted plywood.

    Each has a 414-8C woofer, rebuilt by GPA and a metal 32 bent horn with either an 804 or 806 driver.

    The specs on these would be different from what you want to build since you have the larger 811 horns that are much too deep to fit inside these cabinets. All other aspects would need to be changed.

    I am not good at linking specs from the archives but I am sure the 9849 is there.

    Gary

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Poor mans Altec  but friends make it rich


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by timp:
    Hey BFish....How did you figure that out?...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm a hacker-in-training...in fact, I'm watching you through your TV screen right now.

    Made 'ya look! forums

    Two Altec systems are listed with Tim's components, the 837 Avalon, and the 838 Carmel. I found no plans or pics of either....

    Both used the N800F crossover. 800Hz, 16 ohm, HF attenuation. All I'm aware of on that is here;

    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...00f#post158373

    N800Fs show up on eBay.

    I can find no T/S data on a 414 with the old AlNiCo mag like Tim's, so ~cloning something Altec made is as good as any unless he can measure his own T/S. There might be something else of use in the old enclosure guides at;

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...ltec-plans.htm

    If you decide to just put the horns on top, there's some info you'll need on placement and wiring in those pages.

    That's a pretty ambitious task to finish by Christmas...There's a parts store near GM that may stock parts for crossovers. If you run into a problem, just ask, we'll try to help you make your deadline.

    forums

  9. #9
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks alot! I really appreciated the help. I am working on it. Fortunately I had a pair of enclosures to begin with (6.3F). So, I have to make it smaller a little. After reading the stuffs you (pl) sent, I am shooting for 3.5f. However, I do have a question. For Xovers, would it be a good idea to run First order with my little 14 watts per side Eicos? I don't want to burn forums these treasures by being ignorant.

    Thank you again.

    Tim

  10. #10
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I wouldn't. First order on an 806/811 is asking for trouble unless you went to 1200Hz. 2nd order ButterWorths are std Altec fare. You can substitute a fixed resistor for the attenuator, but might need to try a few to get it where you like it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.